TA Training Workshop: Active Learning Strategies for Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences Sections
Discussion sections are often the most rewarding part of class. Yet, as moderators of these discussions, TAs are frequently concerned that they will be staring at blank faces for an hour. This workshop will go over the principles of active learning and how to implement active learning strategies in your classrooms. You will take home strategies for designing good discussion questions, promoting active reading, and eliciting participation from reluctant students.
Winter Quarter TA Training Workshops
Center for the Advancement of Teaching TA Training Program is excited to announce workshops for TAs for winter quarter. Whether you are a current TA or are just interested in teaching, join us to learn new strategies and skills for the classroom.
- Friday, 1/17 (12:30–2:00 PM): Assessment & Grading: Measuring Student Achievement in the Classroom
- Wednesday, 1/22 (2:30–4:00 PM): Time Management: Meeting Multiple Goals as a Graduate Student, TA, and Human
- Thursday, 1/23 (4:00–5:30 PM): Teaching Humanities & Social Sciences Writing
- Friday, 1/24 (10:30 AM–12:00 PM): How Students Learn
- Tuesday, 1/28 (4:30–6:00 PM): Assessment & Grading: Measuring Student Achievement in the Classroom
- Wednesday, 1/29 (10:30 AM–12:00 PM): Active Learning Strategies for STEM Discussion Sections
- Tuesday, 2/18 (12:00–1:30 PM): Creating Inclusive Classrooms
- Thursday, 2/20 (4:00–5:30 PM): Assessment & Grading: Measuring Student Achievement in the Classroom
- Friday, 2/21 (10:00–11:30 AM): Giving Feedback: Assessing Student Writing
- Monday, 2/24 (10:30 AM–12:00 PM): Time Management: Meeting Multiple Goals as a Graduate Student, TA, and Human
- Wednesday, 2/26 (12:30–2:00 PM): The Nuts & Bolts of Lesson Planning
- Thursday, 2/27 (10:30 AM–12:00 PM): Interrupting Bias to Cultivate Inclusivity
If you are unable to register, please feel free to join us anyway. We seek to accommodate as many people as possible.
Thank you! We look forward to working with you.