TA Training Workshop: Active Learning Strategies for STEM Discussion Sections
As facilitators of discussion sections, STEM TAs are frequently concerned that they will spend sections solving problems at the board for passive students. This workshop will go over the principles of active learning and how to implement active learning strategies in STEM classrooms. You will learn strategies for asking effective questions, engaging students in problem solving, encouraging deductive reasoning, and eliciting participation from reluctant students.
Winter Quarter TA Training Workshops
The Center for the Advancement of Teaching TA Training Program is excited to announce workshops for the winter quarter. Whether you are a current TA or are just interested in teaching, join us to learn new strategies and skills for the classroom.
- Tuesday, 2/18 (12:00–1:30 PM): Creating Inclusive Classrooms
- Thursday, 2/20 (4:00–5:30 PM): Assessment & Grading: Measuring Student Achievement in the Classroom
- Friday, 2/21 (10:00–11:30 AM): Giving Feedback: Assessing Student Writing
- Monday, 2/24 (10:30 AM–12:00 PM): Time Management: Meeting Multiple Goals as a Graduate Student, TA, and Human
- Wednesday, 2/26 (12:30–2:00 PM): The Nuts & Bolts of Lesson Planning
- Thursday, 2/27 (10:30 AM–12:00 PM): Interrupting Bias to Cultivate Inclusivity
If you are unable to register, please feel free to join us anyway. We seek to accommodate as many people as possible.
Thank you! We look forward to working with you.