TA Training Workshop: Assessment & Grading: Measuring Student Achievement in the Classroom
How is assessment different from grading? Do you know when students have successfully obtained the knowledge and skills required to introduce new material? Is it possible to gauge your own effectiveness as an instructor prior to formal evaluations? In this workshop, we will discuss the difference between assessment and grading, the importance of incorporating assessment into your approach to instruction, and various assessment techniques to gauge student learning. You will learn to differentiate between formative and summative assessments, identify appropriate ways to evaluate student growth, and develop a system for gauging your own effectiveness in the classroom. Additionally, we will identify and create solutions to potential problems that can arise when grade norming with other instructors.
Fall Quarter TA Training Workshops
Center for the Advancement of Teaching TA Training Program is excited to announce workshops for TAs for fall quarter. Whether you are a current TA or are just interested in teaching, join us to learn new strategies and skills for the classroom.
- Tuesday, 11/12 (2:00-3:30 PM): Assessment & Grading: Measuring Student Achievement in the Classroom
- Wednesday, 11/13 (10:30 AM-12:00 PM): Active Learning Strategies for STEM Discussion Sections
- Monday, 11/18 (10:30-12:00 PM): How Students Learn
- Tuesday, 11/19 (10:30 AM-12:00 PM): Time Management: Meeting Multiple Goals as a Graduate Student, TA, and Human
- Wednesday, 11/20 (2:00-3:30 PM): Creating Inclusive Classrooms
If you are unable to register, please feel free to join us anyway. We seek to accommodate as many people as possible.
Thank you! We look forward to working with you.