1. What do I do if I get an error message on the registration page? 
    This occurs if you 1) did not register at least 24 hours prior to your desired exam time OR 2) no more exam appointments are available. If this happens, please email the TOP coordinators ([email protected]). 
  2. How do I get my exam score? 
    Your exam score will be sent to the email address provided at registration within 3-4 business days of your exam. If for any reason you don’t receive your score within 4 business days, please e-mail the TOP coordinators ([email protected]) so that we can send it to you again. 
  3. How does my department (or a department I want to TA for) get my score? 
    Your exam score will be sent by email to your department (and other departments you designated when registering) no later than 4 business days after your exam.
  4. How can I learn more about my exam performance? 
    We highly recommend that test takers make a counseling appointment with a TOP coordinator after their exam. During the appointment, the coordinator will discuss the strengths and weaknesses of your test performance so that you can get advice about which ESL class(es) to enroll in, improve your English skills for your TA duties, and/or learn how you can perform better the next time you take the exam (for non-passing test takers only). Note: Counseling is available to all test takers regardless of their score; however, students who receive a pass or a provisional pass may not take the exam again.
  5. What happens if I fail and I need to take the exam again? 
    We suggest that you meet with a TOP coordinator to receive counseling regarding your exam performance before taking the exam again. You can register to take the exam again as soon as the exam registration page is up. Students who receive a Provisional Pass may not take the exam again unless a Clear Pass is required by his or her department. The TOP is free to students the 1st and 2nd time they take it. For the 3rd and subsequent times, the cost is $50 per exam (billed to the student's BAR account within one month of the exam date).
  6. What do I do if I want to file an exemption request for the TOP? 
    The TOP office does not grant exemptions for the TOP. If you would like to file an exemption request, you and your department must do so through Graduate Division. 
  7. What if I have more questions? 
    If you have other questions, feel free to contact the TOP Coordinators by email ([email protected]) or by phone (310-825-3106). Email is preferred.